The Global Water Futures - Young Professionals group aims to stimulate the interaction, inclusion and participation of young professionals and early career researchers in activities that represent and pursue the interests of the YP community within the broader scientific landscape of GWF.
To do so, the GWF-YP aims to:
Enrich opportunities for professional development available to all early career researchers young professionals across the GWF institutions, by organizing novel events and initiating collaborations with existing networks
Connect early career researchers and GWF-YPs across Canadian institutions to facilitate exchange of scientific ideas and experiences through online activities and social events.
Represent and further the interests, presence and inclusion of young professionals in the GWF scientific community
Provide a platform/community to facilitate connections between diverse hydrology-related disciplines with emphasis on linking policy, and the social and physical aspects of water science.
The GWF-YP consists of 4 chapters (one each for USask, University of Waterloo, McMaster University and Wilfrid Laurier University). Each chapter has a Chapter Chair as part of the executive committee.
The GWF-YP brings together YP’s from all partnering institutions under the umbrella of the GWF program. Although most institutions already have their own respective water-related student groups, the GWF-YP provides a sense of community amongst YP in the same research program. GWF-YP members are able and expected to join other student groups as they seem fit which will aid in collaboration among multiple student groups in a region.
A. Students, post-doctoral fellows, or recent graduates within 5 years:
- Current students attending any national or international partnering university or within 5 years of last degree (undergraduate or graduate) and affiliated with a GWF project. Eligible for GWF YP funding (travel support or awards).
B. Technicians and project managers (staff):
- Self-identified YP (technicians, project managers) affiliated with a GWF project. Not eligible to participate in competitions or receive awards.
Overlapping between A and B (recent graduates now working as staff) - eligibility for awards will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
Reasons to Apply
- You attend one of the GWF national or international partner institutions
- You are actively involved with one of the GWF research projects
- You are a student, postdoc, or research associate within 5 years of graduating from graduate school
- You want to network with other researchers and share your experiences
- You are interested in professional development opportunities
- You like to socialize and have fun
All undergraduate/graduate, postdoctoral fellows and technicians under the GWF program will automatically become GWF-YP members (unless otherwise advised). This information will be secured from the GWF Communication Specialist, Outreach Coordinator and GWF funded project Principal Investigators and respective websites.
To sign up for the GWF-YP specific email communication, members are asked to fill out a brief application form including information on home institution, position, supervisor name, and project.