2019 - 2020 Executive
Nataša is a Ph.D. Candidate in the Department of Geography and Environmental Management, Faculty of Environment at the University of Waterloo. Her work examines the role vegetation plays in the carbon and water dynamics of a reclaimed peatland during its early development, with this work she hopes to add to our understanding of the water use and requirements of reclaimed ecosystems. In her free time, she enjoys spending time outdoors, long-distance biking and hiking.
Laura McFarlan - University of Saskatchewan Chapter Chair
Laura is a second-year MEs student under the supervision of Dr. Colin Whitfield and Dr. Angela Bedard-Haughn in the Prairie Water project. Laura is working on identifying the variability of phosphorus across prairie wetlands. In addition to her research, Laura is always happy to talk about house plants, canoeing, and ice cream.
Alanna Bodo – McMaster University Chapter Chair
Alanna is a third-year PhD candidate with Southern Forests Water Futures at McMaster University. Alanna studies the impacts of forest management strategies on water availability in southern Ontario. Off-campus you can catch her at a craft brewery or hiking the Bruce trail.
Matthew Teillet - Wilfrid Laurier University Chapter Chair
Matthew is a second-year MSc student under the supervision of Dr. Derek Gray and Dr. Alex Latta at Wilfrid Laurier University. Matthew studies the impacts of transportation infrastructure on river ecology in the Northwest Territories. He enjoys travel, sports, and Hawaiian pizza.
Caroline Aubry-Wake - Canadian Young Hydrologic Society Chair
Caroline is a second-year PhD candidate under the supervision of Dr. John Pomeroy at the University of Saskatchewan. Caroline's studies the influence of climate change of glacier dynamics in the Canadian Rockies.
The GWF-YP will consist of four chapters (one each for UofS, University of Waterloo, McMaster University and Wilfrid Laurier University) with four respective Chapter Chairs. Each chair will be for one year term and will be eligible for renewal or re-election.
All GWF-YP members (students and postdoctoral fellows working with a GWF Project) can apply to become a Chapter Chair via an online form available on the GWF website. Applicants will be required to have support from their supervisor.
Roles and ResponsibilitiesThe roles and responsibilities of the executives will be reviewed once every year and if required, will be modified to suit the needs of the committee with approval from the GWF-YP Selection Committee. The following outlines the roles of each Chair:
President – Chapter Chair 1
- Direct and oversee the GWF-YP program.
- General responsibility for coordinating the activities of 3 other Chapter Chairs.
- Appointed representative of the GWF-YP’s at meetings/events.
- Where appropriate, the President will seek advice from the GWF Outreach Coordinator.
- Responsible for GWF-YP finances, including reporting and liaising with GWF Finance Director.
- Lead the preparation of annual reporting in support of other Chapter Chairs (financial status, annual activities etc.).
- Maintain communication between GWF-YP and other GWF support staff, faculty and other researchers.
- Acts as an official spokesperson for outside contacts.
All Chapter Chairs and CYHS President
- Executives are required to attend monthly GWF-YP teleconference meetings as well as regionally held meetings.
- Executives will hold their position for a 1-year term (starting May 2018), with the exception of the past-President who will stay on for 3 additional months in an advisory capacity.
- All members are highly encouraged to support GWF-YP activities using their own social media.
- Assist with annual reporting.
- Responsible to oversee planning and executing of activities in their respective Chapters.
- Liaise with other local student groups to collaborate on events, including professional development and social activities, volunteer opportunities, etc.
- Help promote GWF-YP activities and major GWF events.
- Plan and implement social activities, including monthly social events in their respective chapters.
- Organize and promote outreach activities both at an institutional level and local communities (i.e. Let’s Talk Science etc.).
- Assist in planning and executing an annual social event at GWF Annual General Meeting.
- Liaise with the GWF Communications Team (see Appendix A) to help promote major GWF milestones, events, etc.
- Communicate student achievements (publications, conference presentations, awards/scholarships, acknowledgments etc.) to GWF Communications Specialist.
- Organizes executive meetings and is responsible for taking minutes at monthly meetings.
Selection of executives (Chapter Chairs) will be conducted by an appointed Selection Committee. The executives will be selected based on merit and the Selection Committee must ensure a balance of graduate student and postdoctoral fellows. The Selection Committee will also decide on who should assume the role of President among selected executives and will ensure to rotate the leadership position among partner institutions.
Note: The CYHS President will automatically be elected to the Executive committee.
The GWF-YP Chapter Chair selection criteria is as follows:
- Academic Excellence – 25%
- Extracurricular Activities & Past Experience – 30%
- Supervisor Recommendation – 25%
- Statement of Purpose – 20%
Each GWF-YP executive committee member will be eligible for an honorarium that could be used towards professional development activities such as travel to conferences or attend workshops as follows:
- $1000 – President – Chapter Chair 1
- $750 – Chapter Chairs 2-4 & CYHS President
We're recruiting for the 2020-2021 year
Please fill out the application provided below and submit to Stacey Dumanski, email@example.com by June 30, 2020