The Global Water Futures - Young Professionals group aims to stimulate the interaction, inclusion and participation of young professionals and early career researchers in activities that represent and pursue the interests of the YP community within the broader scientific landscape of GWF.
To do so, the GWF-YP aims to:
Enrich opportunities for professional development available to all early career researchers young professionals across the GWF institutions, by organizing novel events and initiating collaborations with existing networks
Connect early career researchers and GWF-YPs across Canadian institutions to facilitate exchange of scientific ideas and experiences through online activities and social events.
Represent and further the interests, presence and inclusion of young professionals in the GWF scientific community
Provide a platform/community to facilitate connections between diverse hydrology-related disciplines with emphasis on linking policy, and the social and physical aspects of water science.
The GWF-YP consists of 4 chapters (one each for USask, University of Waterloo, McMaster University and Wilfrid Laurier University). Each chapter has a Chapter Chair as part of the executive committee - see Executive Roles & Application below.
The GWF-YP brings together YP’s from all partnering institutions under the umbrella of the GWF program. Although most institutions already have their own respective water-related student groups, the GWF-YP provides a sense of community amongst YP in the same research program. GWF-YP members are able and expected to join other student groups as they seem fit which will aid in collaboration among multiple student groups in a region.
YP Membership Categories
A. Students, post-doctoral fellows, or recent graduates within 5 years:
- Current students attending any national or international partnering university or within 5 years of last degree (undergraduate or graduate) and affiliated with a GWF project. Eligible for GWF YP funding (travel support or awards).
B. Technicians and project managers (staff):
- Self-identified YP (technicians, project managers) affiliated with a GWF project. Not eligible to participate in competitions or receive awards.
Overlapping between A and B (recent graduates now working as staff) - eligibility for awards will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
All undergraduate/graduate, postdoctoral fellows and technicians under the GWF program will automatically become GWF-YP members (unless otherwise advised). This information will be secured from the GWF Communication Specialist, Outreach Coordinator and GWF funded project Principal Investigators and respective websites.
To sign up for the GWF-YP specific email communication, members are asked to fill out a brief application form including information on home institution, position, supervisor name, and project. Please click the link below to "opt-in" to GWF-YP email communications.
GWF-YP Executive Roles
2019 GWF-YP Executive Roles are open - Apply Today!
The GWF-YP's are now accepting applications for the 2019 Executive Roles until March 29, 2019.
Information about the GWF-YP's structure, eligibility, roles available, selection process and application process are below.
The GWF-YP will consist of four chapters (one each for UofS, University of Waterloo, McMaster University and Wilfrid Laurier University) with four respective Chapter Chairs. Each chair will be for one year term and will be eligible for renewal or re-election.
All GWF-YP members (students and postdoctoral fellows working with a GWF Project) can apply to become a Chapter Chair via an online form available on the GWF website. Applicants will be required to have support from their supervisor.
Executive RolesThe roles and responsibilities of the executives will be reviewed once every year and if required, will be modified to suit the needs of the committee with approval from the GWF-YP Selection Committee. The following outlines the roles of each Chair:
- Direct and oversee the GWF-YP program.
- General responsibility for coordinating the activities of 3 other Chapter Chairs.
- Appointed representative of the GWF-YP’s at meetings/events.
- Where appropriate, the President will seek advice from the GWF Outreach Coordinator.
- Responsible for GWF-YP finances, including reporting and liaising with GWF Finance Director.
- Lead the preparation of annual reporting in support of other Chapter Chairs (financial status, annual activities etc.).
- Maintain communication between GWF-YP and other GWF support staff, faculty and other researchers.
- Acts as an official spokesperson for outside contacts.
- Executives are required to attend monthly GWF-YP teleconference meetings as well as regionally held meetings.
- Executives will hold their position for a 1-year term (starting May 2018), with the exception of the past-President who will stay on for 3 additional months in an advisory capacity.
- All members are highly encouraged to support GWF-YP activities using their own social media.
- Assist with annual reporting.
- Responsible to oversee planning and executing of activities in their respective Chapters.
- Liaise with other local student groups to collaborate on events, including professional development and social activities, volunteer opportunities, etc.
- Help promote GWF-YP activities and major GWF events.
- Plan and implement social activities, including monthly social events in their respective chapters.
- Organize and promote outreach activities both at an institutional level and local communities (i.e. Let’s Talk Science etc.).
- Assist in planning and executing an annual social event at GWF Annual General Meeting.
- Liaise with the GWF Communications Team (see Appendix A) to help promote major GWF milestones, events, etc.
- Communicate student achievements (publications, conference presentations, awards/scholarships, acknowledgments etc.) to GWF Communications Specialist.
- Organizes executive meetings and is responsible for taking minutes at monthly meetings.
Executive Selection Process
Selection of executives (Chapter Chairs) will be conducted by an appointed Selection Committee. The executives will be selected based on merit and the Selection Committee must ensure a balance of graduate student and postdoctoral fellows. The Selection Committee will also decide on who should assume the role of President among selected executives and will ensure to rotate the leadership position among partner institutions.
Note: The CYHS President will automatically be elected to the Executive committee.
The GWF-YP Chapter Chair selection criteria is as follows:
- Academic Excellence – 25%
- Extracurricular Activities & Past Experience – 30%
- Supervisor Recommendation – 25%
- Statement of Purpose – 20%
Each GWF-YP executive committee member will be eligible for an honorarium that could be used towards professional development activities such as travel to conferences or attend workshops as follows:
- $1000 – President – Chapter Chair 1
- $750 – Chapter Chairs 2-4 & CYHS President