The GWF-YP brings together members from the GWF program, with two executives from each of the funding partner institutions (USask, UWaterloo, McMasterU, and WLU) and two executives from GWF partner universities (outside the main four partnered insitutitions). Each executive will be for one year term and will be eligible for renewal or re-election.
All GWF-YP members (students, postdoctoral fellows, and early career researchers <3 years into career) working with a GWF project can apply to become an executive via an form available on the GWF website. Applicants will be required to have support from their supervisor(s).
Roles and ResponsibilitiesThe roles and responsibilities of the executives will be reviewed once every year and if required, will be modified to suit the needs of the committee with approval from the GWF-YP Selection Committee. The following outlines the roles of each executive:
- Direct and oversee the GWF-YP program.
- General responsibility for coordinating the activities among GWF partner institutions.
- Appointed representative of the GWF-YP’s at meetings/events.
- Where appropriate, the President will seek advice from the GWF Outreach Coordinator.
- Responsible for GWF-YP finances, including reporting and liaising with GWF Finance Director.
- Lead the preparation of annual reporting in support of other executives (financial status, annual activities etc.).
- Maintain communication between GWF-YP and other GWF support staff, faculty and other researchers.
- Acts as an official spokesperson for outside contacts.
Executives and CYHS Representative
- Executives are required to attend monthly GWF-YP teleconference meetings as well as regionally held meetings.
- Executives will hold their position for a 1-year term, with the exception of the past-President who will stay on for 3 additional months in an advisory capacity.
- All members are highly encouraged to support GWF-YP activities using their own social media.
- Assist with annual reporting.
- Responsible to oversee the planning and executing of activities in their respective institutions.
- Liaise with other local student groups (i.e. SWIGS, GIWS SYR, etc.) to collaborate on events, including professional development and social activities, volunteer opportunities, etc.
- Help promote GWF-YP activities and major GWF events.
- Plan and implement social activities in their respective institutions.
- Organize and promote outreach activities both at an institutional level and local communities (i.e. Let’s Talk Science etc.).
- Assist in planning and executing an annual social event at GWF Annual General Meeting.
- Liaise with the GWF Communications Team to help promote major GWF milestones, events, etc.
- Communicate student achievements (publications, conference presentations, awards/scholarships, acknowledgments etc.) to GWF Communications Specialist and through the GWF YP mailing list.
- Organizes executive meetings and is responsible for taking minutes at monthly meetings.
Selection of executives will be conducted by an appointed Selection Committee. The executives will be selected based on merit and the Selection Committee must ensure a balance of graduate student and postdoctoral fellows. The Selection Committee will also decide on who should assume the role of President among selected executives and will ensure to rotate the leadership position among partner institutions.
Note: The CYHS President (or appointed representative) will automatically be elected to the Executive committee.
The GWF-YP Chapter Chair selection criteria is as follows:
- Academic Excellence – 25%
- Extracurricular Activities & Past Experience – 30%
- Supervisor Recommendation – 25%
- Statement of Purpose – 20%
Each GWF-YP executive committee member will be eligible for an honorarium:
- $1000 – President
- $750 – Executives & CYHS President
We're recruiting for the 2021-2022 year!
Please fill out the application provided below and submit to Laura McFarlan, email@example.com by October 15th, 2021.